You can sign up for your event below, We design the chilly dippers structure to be progressive and therefore have entry requirements for our event distances of 400m and above. Please note these below before submitting your entry:
- You must be 16 years minimum to be able to participate in Chilly Dippers Events, there are no exceptions to this rule. Those aged 16-18 years old must have a parent / legal guardian present on the day who must also sign a document giving permission for you to swim. Under 18’s may swim events upto 200m only through the season, we are unable to allow under 18’s to swim other distances.
- To swim in our 400m event we have a split criteria, you must:
– If the water is OVER 10 degrees on the day of the event there is no qualifying swim to enter the 400m, this would ONLY apply to our first event in November (temperatures permitting)
– For subsequent events you MUST Have swum in our 200m/400m event in the previous month or be able to provide proof of swimming a 400m event in 10 degrees celsius or less (see below for acceptable proof)
- To swim an event of 800m you MUST have first completed a swim of 400m or more in water of 8 degrees or less. To swim an event of 1km you MUST have first completed an event of 800m or more in water of 8 degrees or less. For an event above 1km you must first have completed a 1km swim (chilly dippers may offer a 1.2 or 1.6km swim in the future) in 5 degrees or less.
- If the organisers deem the conditions on a particular day to be harsh, be because of water temperature or weather conditions they may ask for additional, stricter criteria to enter a particular distance. The organisers reserve the right to downgrade a swimmers swim distance in such circumstances on the grounds of safety. (for example running a 1km swim in water temperatures of 2 degrees may not be appropriate for some swimmers who have previously met our sigh off criteria)
- If you have swum your qualifying swim in a wetsuit you must swim the event entered into in the same swim attire. For example you cannot perform a qualifying swim in a wetsuit and enter the next event up non wetsuit using the wetsuit qualifier.
- Acceptable forms of proof for sign off.
A signed declaration from a Qualified Open Water Swim Coach (ASA or STA qualified only) or a representative of a relevant winter / Ice swimming body (i.e. IISA). This must state time, date, distance and the coaches name, club or business and qualification details and whether the swim was a wet suited swim or non wet suited swim. A template can be found here if needed. We may check your sign offs details if they are not known to us. BTF and Non Open Water Qualified coaches are not authorised sign offs unless also a member of a relevant winter / Ice swim organisation as above.
– Proof of a previous event swim of this distance and above from another cold water swimming event such as ChillSwim. This can be in the form of a certificate or event page listing, must also state wetsuit or non wetsuit.
– Alternatively you may work up to the relevant distance by partaking in a relevant Chilly Dippers event and meeting our own qualifying criteria above.
- Chilly Dippers take safety very seriously and highly recommend those new to cold water swimming start with a 50m or 100m event (depending on temperature and wetsuit or non wetsuit). In the event of doubt by the chilly dippers organisers we may state that you downgrade your event if we believe experience or conditions dictate this.
- Cold water swimming is an extreme sport and the event organiser and safety crew will be looking out for you in the water and onshore. Should the safety crew become concerned about your well being then they will extract you from the water. Their decision is final.
- Sometimes even the cold winter weather can catch us out (as proved in the snow storms of 2018). As winter swimming is an extreme sport we are particularly mindful of how we run the events, to keep everybody as safe as possible both before, during and after. If we feel the conditions for one of our events are cause for concern, be it from colder than expected weather or water temperature or even environmental factors stopping you getting to and from site safely, then we will look at options, which may involve a cancellation. In these circumstances we will try to give you as much notice as we possibly can.
- As well as the above please read all the notes on the booking page and ensure you have booked the correct event and date before signing up
Event Distances at a glance:
November 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m
December 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m
January 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 1km
February 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 1km